Will Young reveals why he really quit Strictly Come Dancing

SCD S14 TX1

Will Young has spoken out about his reasons for quitting Strictly Come Dancing last year.

The has singer opened up for the first time about leaving the BBC One show in a new interview with The Times Magazine.

It was announced that Will had quit Strictly Come Dancing back in October last year, pulling out just four weeks into the live shows.

A spokesperson for the BBC announced at the time: "Due to personal reasons, Will Young has decided to withdraw from Strictly Come Dancing. The show fully respects his decision and wishes him all the best for the future."

Will said in his own statement at the time: "Unfortunately, I am leaving the show for personal reasons. I leave with joy in my heart that I have been able to take part in one of the most loved shows on British television."

Will's exit followed a tense on air clash with Strictly judge Len Goodman but Will insists this had nothing to do with his decision to quit.

"It was important for me to leave Strictly for my own wellbeing," the former Pop Idol winner said (via The Sun). “It was a number of things. It was nothing to do with the people on the show, and it certainly wasn’t because Len Goodman dissed my salsa – I mean, come on!

“I love dance, and because of the stuff that was going on personally, I just wasn’t enjoying the dancing.”

He went on: "I was really ill. I was dragging myself to rehearsals.

“I just couldn’t do it any more. It was so bad I thought – I’m not joking – I thought about breaking my leg. I decided to take on Strictly because I bloody love dancing. And I bl***y hated it, because I was so ill.”

Will returns to BBC One tonight as a judge for the new series of singing competition Pitch Perfect.

Strictly Come Dancing will return to BBC One later this year.

Get the latest Strictly news

Get news on... (check as many as you want!)
Subscribe on YouTube