Dermot O'Leary confirms he'll definitely be back to host X Factor this year

Dermot O'Leary

Dermot O'Leary has confirmed he'll definitely be back on The X Factor this year.

There was little doubt after he signed a reported £8 MILLION deal last year, but Dermot this week officially announced the news.

“I’ve signed for a few years. I really enjoyed it this year. It was a lovely, warm, fun year," said Dermot, who enjoyed a 'year off' for the 2015 series.

Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Dermot went on to defend The X Factor's declining ratings, saying: "It’s because people watch TV in a very different way.

“The Sunday show still rates pretty well, until they put Planet Earth on and it was like Noooooo! Not Attenborough!

“It was brilliant though. I recorded it. I was on air at the time.”

Meanwhile, Dermot said that the axe of X Factor's ITV2 spin-off show Xtra Factor was a "shame for telly".

He said: "It was a great place to launch new talent.

“It’s the same when I was doing Big Brother’s Little Brother and T4, there aren’t that many nursery slopes any more.

"They go on reality shows or have YouTube profiles. I hope that’s not the future. I’m a purist I suppose. It’s not the way I like to see the world.”

Dermot added: “Look at someone like Rylan Clark-Neal or Olly Murs. You do see people down the line on that show and you can tell if they’ve got the aptitude for live telly.”

While Dermot is confirmed as host of The X Factor 2017, no judges have been announced just yet but rumour has it that we can expect no changes from last year.

X Factor boss Simon Cowell previously confirmed he hoped that Sharon Osbourne, Louis Walsh and Nicole Scherzinger would all be back again for this year's fourteenth series.

The X Factor 2017 will air on ITV later this year.

Get the latest X Factor news

Get news on... (check as many as you want!)
Subscribe on YouTube